Reflections of the Heart: Lenten Season Pondering - 2018 #40acts

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Lenten Season Pondering - 2018 #40acts


It's been a week into this 2018 Lenten season. Some of the 40acts I haven't been able to complete, but I've taken what they've said to heart and morphed them into something I can accomplish that has the same concept behind them.

What I realized is that focusing on others and not myself has helped lift my spirits more. It has helped me pray and think about how God wants me to act with others and where I can make changes.


The thing I was thinking about this morning is this, yes this is bringing me closer to God every day, However.... how is this going to stick afterward AND WHY am I not like this all the time?


It's strange, I know the answer is selfishness.  Last week in my bible study group we talked about finding verses in the bible for things that we struggle with on a daily basis. You see, for me, most of my struggles boil down to selfishness and these are the bible verses I discovered: Philippians 2:3-4



It's good to take care of yourself and your needs.  But when your desires get in the way of what God has asked us to do, then it's there that strife is created in our daily lives.

When my kids ask for my help and I'm in the middle of something that may or may not be necessary, do I stop and help them or do I get irritated that I am being interrupted and my time is precious?

When my husband is struggling with something, do I take the time to listen and really help where it might be needed?

If family members are struggling, do I take the time to do what needs to be done or reach out and ask if they need anything?

Do I foster my relationships with others in my faith, building community outside of Sunday or Bible study?

Jesus talks here about whatever we didn't do for the least of these we didn't do for Him.

If you have a little extra time read through Matthew 6 here. These passages, especially the ones about storing up treasures in heaven, hit me hard about 8 years ago after I read the book, The Treasure Principle. If you haven't read it I would suggest it as a short book that can change the way you see giving and materialism.


Today I am saying a prayer that God will change my heart even more toward the "least of these".


And to help me Fix my eyes on Him!

Matthew 22:36-40
36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” 37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”







No comments:

Post a Comment