Reflections of the Heart: Ash Wednesday, Lent & Valentine's Day

Monday, February 12, 2018

Ash Wednesday, Lent & Valentine's Day




Valentine's Day


Valentine's Day is upon us.  Here is a link that talks about the history of Valentine's Day.

Yes, last year I shared here about Valentine's Day and what I thought of the holiday.  This year I thought instead of griping about it I would give you a few links to get some last minute ideas for your spouse, significant other, family, friends or kids.

For Married couples: 

Sheila Gregoire's website contains quite a few awesome Valentine's posts. In the search box type in Valentine and you'll get her last few years of posts that are full of links and ideas.


J. Parker's website contains some great posts as well, in the search box type in Valentine and you'll get some even more ideas.  *However, note that her site will contain even more graphic posts about marital intimacy than Sheila's does, so go into it with your heart open.

A Biblical Marriage has this great post about 10 free or cheap gifts.

For All Couples and singles as well:

Gary Chapman's  Five Love Languages is a great place to start.  Figure out the Love Language of those special to you, including yourself.  Most of the time the way we show our love tends to be one of our strongest love languages.

For Everyone:

There are so many ideas out there. Try looking through Pinterest and just googling images. However, make sure that you put the word Christian in front, otherwise you might get some things popping up you don't want to see. 

Teach your kids about the Love of Jesus. There are so many passages in the Bible that talk about Love. Go to Biblegateway.com or whatever bible resource you use and search for the word Love. Read through some of them and take refuge in them, but then move forward and show that love to others around you.  Bible Verses About Love.

As a lot of the world celebrates Valentine's Day, I will be looking forward to the start of Lent as Ash Wednesday is on Valentine's Day this year(2018). 


Lent & Ash Wednesday


Here is a link that has a little about Ash Wednesday.


Here is a link that talks about Lent.


Are you a person who gives something up for Lent? Do you even take part in it?  

When I was younger I was brought up in a Catholic church for a short while and I remember those around me talking about Lent and giving up something for Lent.  As I changed faiths through the years and finally settled at an Evangelical Baptist church I never thought much of Lent until a couple of years ago. 

Then last year I found 40acts.  I don't know how I stumbled upon it.  I think I googled how to worship differently leading up to Easter and found it.  Last year it opened my eyes to the kind of person I am and MORE importantly, the kind of person that God wants me to be.

Will you join me this year?  Sign up as a single, as a small group, as a family or as a church.  I guarantee you, it will change your outlook on life.  It might not change you right away and it might take some time to get outside your comfort zone-I know I still struggle with it.  That is why I am signing up again this year.  I want to stretch myself to Love others as Jesus loved us.   Generously, wholeheartedly: "Change starts with me."


"Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love." ~ 1 John 4:7





OKAY AND THIS ONE HERE IS JUST FOR FUN. A LITTLE SOMETHING TO BRIGHTEN YOUR DAY

AND GET YOU MOVING.



No comments:

Post a Comment