Reflections of the Heart: Sort of Local Non Profit-OAC(Open Air Campaigners)

Friday, May 5, 2017

Sort of Local Non Profit-OAC(Open Air Campaigners)

Why do I say Sort of Local?

You see when we first started supporting OAC, our friend Mark Sohmer was going to Boston, MA to open air campain.  So, that's not very local.  However, they are opening a new branch in NH and asked Mark to head that up.  You should check out his website: Sohmer Family Website

Mark is a very unique person.  He's what Gary Chapman would call a babbling brook(Yeah, this is super funny). So be sure that if you're around him you are going to use your ears a lot. That being said, he is also a very good listener about needs and desires of those around him. That is what makes him so good at his job and sharing The Gospel. He is kind, loving and respectful of all people. 

For instance, check out his Facebook site and this post here from 5/4/17.  I can't seem to link to it so I just copied and pasted it for you, the photo is on his page.

This is Quincy and Charlie, two students I met at UNH today. Quincy identified herself to me as "Pansexual." Charlie is a biological female who is transitioning to be a male. The first thing they both wanted to know was if I hated them. I told them that of course I don't hate them. We chatted for nearly half an hour about God, but mostly on sexuality. They really believe that Christians hate them and want to harm them. I assured them that should never be the case. They're made in God's image and I care for them so much and that's why I was out there, to warn them and others about the wrath of God and His amazing loving gospel. Both Quincy and Charlie warmed up considerably, and we were very friendly. I don't think they believe all Christians hate them anymore. And, as you can see in the photo, they both took gospel booklets. Jesus came to save sinners, in whatever form that sin comes in. I believe a wall was broken down between this Born-Again Christian and two members of the LGBTQA+ community, and I ask you to pray that Quincy and Charlie get saved. Afterall, God saves heterosexuals and non-heterosexuals the same way: repentance and faith. I'm so glad to have met these two on campus today.

***Update as of 10/31/17, the below came to me through one of Mark's email updates and it's relevant to his post above:

Last week on campus I ran into Quincy again!!! She had a friend with her named Celeste (who identifies as Lesbian.) Celeste saw me and got very combative immediately. Get this, because of the great bridge-building that happened last time, Quincy calmed her friend Celeste down and told her that we're okay. Then I had a superb and fruitful conversation with Quincy and Celeste. We covered a LOT of topics, all with civility. Despite disagreeing with one another, our superb conversation ended with hugs. Please pray for Quincy, Charlie, and Celeste. Honestly, I really like those guys. They just need Jesus, just like everyone does. And God is on the move and He's still rescuing the Lost. And that's exciting!


Mark is often able to explain things in a way that is truly loving about God, how we all need a savior and His name is Jesus.

For Mark it's about reaching the lost, the people who may be overlooked in our local community. People who might have preconceptions about Christianity and what a true Christian is supposed to be like.  

How did Jesus act with everyday people in the bible?  Have you ever read how he interacted with people who were outcasts in the society of His day?  He was kind and loving but truthful.

So, why don't you check out Mark's Facebook page , his website or his blog


So he's going to be local, what now?


Read about the new branch and watch the video he put together  : New OAC Branch in NH

He is always looking for new supporters it doesn't matter whether it's prayer, one time donation or monthly.  

I personally look forward to seeing what he can accomplish around here. 
As a side note, quite a few years ago my husband took a week long training course with OAC down with a group in Boston.  Their techniques with paint boards and Gospel tracts are super cool and interesting.  They really bring the Gospel to light in a way that some people have never seen it done before. 

Here are some Cool facts about OAC.


Matthew 28:19 (NIV)

19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

1 comment:

  1. You totally made my day. Thank you for posting this. I'm very encouraged, and that's a big deal because the ministry can be discouraging at times. I definitely thank Jesus for you, Jake, and your beautiful kiddos. Your friendship means so much to me. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete