Reflections of the Heart: Happy St. Patrick's Day! Why do you celebrate this day?

Sunday, March 17, 2019

Happy St. Patrick's Day! Why do you celebrate this day?


Well those of you who know me well, know I love Ireland. Why you might ask?  Well I can't really put my finger on how it began. I always felt drawn to the Isle of Green. In 2003 I went alone on a bus tour of Ireland for 10 days. It was one of the best decisions I could have made. Most people were saying I was crazy or courageous to go on my own without anyone else I knew.  But I made a lot of acquaintances over there with the others that were on the bus tour.  What I think I liked about the tour itself was that I didn't have to choose once I was there, it was laid out before me when I picked the package I did.  Most of the people on the tour were in there 50s or older, which made it a lot of fun to talk with them.

When I saw those lush green rolling hills , Cliffs of Moher and the Megalithic tombs I felt at home. It was this feeling of peace I have only felt a few times in my life.  It's a strange feeling but comforting.

I had my first "real" Guiness in Ireland on the first night we were there and it was delicious. Of course, it has since ruined it a bit for me here in the states.  You see, over there they don't have to put preservatives in their beer but they do here in the states, and yes it does make a significant difference in taste.




The Cliffs of Moher are magnificent. You've probably seen way better pictures of them online, in movies or in photos taken since 2003. My camera wasn't digital back then, It's amazing how far cameras have come since then. It was a bit foggy that day, but for most of the time we were there it didn't rain. Our tour guide said that was very unusual.  Hence all the green.
http://www.cliffsofmoher.ie/




My favorite thing was the tour of the Knowth Megalithic tomb site. You wanna learn more, check out this link. It was super cool inside the tomb but we weren't supposed to take pictures since it was still being excavated and worked on by a team of archaeologists.(This is the type of work I had wanted to do when I graduated high school)
http://www.knowth.com/knowth.htm


Why did I share this with you, it's one of my favorite memories when I was single. It'll be a part of me for my lifetime and hopefully you'll check it out more.  See if maybe your soul has a bit of the Emerald Isle in it.

Most people just celebrate St Patrick's Day so they can drink and eat and be merry.  

For me it's a little more touching to my heart.

And Yes, I did kiss the Blarney Stone.

Wanna learn more about St. Patrick's Day, check out the video below. It also has some other cool history links.
http://www.history.com/topics/st-patricks-day/history-of-st-patricks-day


I left a piece of my heart in Ireland when I left, I hope the Leprechauns take care of it for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment