Reflections of the Heart: Thankful for Hindsight and Wisdom

Sunday, November 7, 2021

Thankful for Hindsight and Wisdom




Does everything happen for a reason?

I often hear this from others and think it myself as well. I don't know.  But what I do know is that we have to learn from our past decisions and experiences, good and especially bad.  

I do know that the bible says in Romans 8:28  And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Of course that doesn't mean that the life of a believer will be all good things, just that in all things that happen to us God will use them for his purpose.  For someone who likes control, like myself, this can be a scary concept.  How do I let go?  Well, using Hindsight certainly helps.  There are things that have happened to me, in the midst of them it was like Hell on earth, but when I look back at those times I have learned so many different things from them and can use those experiences to not only have wisdom for the future but also to pass that wisdom down to my kids and others around me who can benefit from it.




There is an Irish saying that goes:

May you have the hindsight
To know where you've been,
The foresight to know 
Where you are going,
And the insight to know
When you've gone too far.

The lyrics of the song below from MercyMe really hit home for me.  If I could tell my younger self not to do certain things to avoid all the pain, would I and which things would I tell myself?  The problem is that if I told myself those things then I wouldn't be the person I am today, and how would I know what I would be like.  So, speculation is just that, coulda-shoulda-woulda...   We never know how the future will turn out, but I know I would like to spare some people, especially my kids certain types of pain that I went through.





Psalm 118:28
You are my God, and I will give you thanks; you are my God, and I will exalt you.

No comments:

Post a Comment