Reflections of the Heart: Movie Review: Instant Family PG-13+

Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Movie Review: Instant Family PG-13+



I think you all know how much I love to watch movies.  I try to watch things that I can review here, things that make me contemplate life and the world and stretch me in ways I am not normally stretched in my day to day routine.

I've never felt the tug to adopt, but I know others who have felt the desire to and have.  So, when a movie comes out that is PG-13 and deals with this subject I gravitated toward it.  Who doesn't like Mark Walberg, right? Yeah, I know, a lot of people don't. 

Anyway, I laughed and cried a lot throughout the movie.  It was funny where it needed to be and serious where it needed to be.  HOWEVER,  ....  Yeah, holy moly have some language.  I guess I should have looked up the reviews online like I do with a lot of movies whem I am unsure of it's content.  I just didn't think it would be that bad with this specific subject matter.  Here are the reviews from 2 of my favorite sources:

Common Sense Media review
Focus on the Family Plugged In Review

It really was a lot of unnecessary language in the movie.  I was a bit surprised. I mean I shouldn't be surprised seeing the state of our culture these days. Most of the time, although I am put off my bad language, it doesn't bother me.  I think the subject matter in this movie didn't warrant the types of language there was.  

My opinion is that it's a decent movie in a lot of ways, but it isn't for kids and I probably wouldn't even show it to teenagers either.  I would consider it an adult only movie.

I wrote a post a little while ago about a charity we support that works with adoption.  You can check out the post here.

Interested in a post about how I feel about movies you can check that post out here.

Adoption and/or fostering is something that we need to keep on our hearts in one form or another.  We are called to care for widows and orphans.  This will look differently for each of us.  Prayer, Financial Support, Community programs, actual fostering and/or adopting. 


James 1:26-27
26 Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless. 27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world


No comments:

Post a Comment