Reflections of the Heart: Let's Talk Entertainment-Specifically TV

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Let's Talk Entertainment-Specifically TV


As Christians we are called to a different standard in everyday life. That includes Entertainment.  I know some of you are saying "here we go again".  I want to tell you about my journey with entertainment.  

I have struggled with this most of my adult life.  I love, love, love entertainment, specifically movies and television.  I will allow it to take over my time, energy and life if I let it.  Seriously- with Netflix, and other streaming sources-enter binge TV, I have a love hate relationship with them.  

Once I rededicated my life to Jesus in 2003 I had a rough year of change.  I felt the Holy Spirit tugging at me in various places in my life. One of which was entertainment, specifically TV and movies.  It's been a struggle and a long one at that.

I calculated how much of my free time was used up watching TV specifically.  On a normal work day I would just come home, eat supper and watch TV shows until I went to bed. That was 3-4 hours a day. Sometimes I would just record the shows and watch them later on the weekends, but most of the time I had a good 3 shows every night to watch. I realized I was living for entertainment.  So I tried to cut down a bit at first and realized how hard it was. I struggled greatly.  I had no idea how addicted I was to TV.  I then went through the shows and tried to decided which ones were completely not glorifying to God. The problem was I would eliminate some but keep others, when in fact almost every single show I was watching was not glorying to God.  It took me many years of the Holy Spirit to get me to a point where what I watch is mostly pretty "clean" TV.  But, it's still a time sucker.

You know that saying "You are what you eat" ?  Guess what, the same rule applies to all things in our lives.  It took me a long time to recognize that and once I did, and I'm still in the process, it took me a long time to make changes for the better.

I'm not judging anyone here.  I am as guilty as any other person.  What I am writing this blog for, is to share with you what God says about these types of things.  It's to make you think and pray and see where the Holy Spirit might be tugging at you.

I still watch a lot more TV than I should, even though it's "clean" TV I have to remember that my time is really God's time and he has given it to me to be a good steward. When it's my time to leave this earth and stand before God, he expects each of us to give an account for how our days are spent.  I don't know about you, but as a Christian that really makes me cringe and makes me think about how I can do better.

Below are some really good verses in the Bible to think on and pray about.


Romans 8:5 
Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.


Ephesians 5:15-16
Be very careful, then, how you live-not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.

Psalm 31:15
My times are in your hands; deliver me from the hands of my enemies, from those who pursue me.

Psalm 89:47
Remember how fleeting is my life. For what futility have created all humanity!

Hosea 10:12
Sow righteousness for yourselves , reap the fruit of unfailing love, and break up your unplowed ground; for it is time to see the Lord, until he comes and showers his righteousness on you.

Mark 13:33
Be on guard! Be alert! You do not know when that time will come.

Colossians 3:17
And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Here is a good article from gotquestions.org here about What does the bible say about fun and entertainment?


This is a great song that goes along with what I am trying to say here.  I am going to try to write more specifically about this in the future, but I wanted to get people really thinking.  Until next time......






No comments:

Post a Comment